Sunday, February 24, 2013

What's Your Pet Worth?

How much Americans Spent on Their Pets in the Last Couple of Years

We just ended the year 2012, and are working on our taxes, figuring
out where our money went, what is deductible, how much we spent,
etc.  As we analyze this, we may realize how much we've spent on
our precious furry companion animals (a.k.a. pets, animals).

According to a Pet group, as American pet owners, we have spent
more than $53 billion last year, which is a 5% increase from 2011.
I have personally seen the increase in cost of caring for my beautiful
doggy, Flojo. This increase in cost includes: the cost of pet housing,
toys, food, even the veterinary care I provide to her, being I her
veterinarian, with the increasing costs of medications, shipping costs,
etc.  However, I do not attribute an increase in spending for Flojo
solely on inflation, but also on the increase of our bond. She is my
baby, I've cared for her since she was a few months old, and I would
cover whatever cost is necessary to keep her healthy, and to give her
an excellent well-being.

At Dr. Sam Pet Hospital, I notice a trend where my clients, those
invested pet owners, are more than willing to sacrifice to provide for
their pets, and to contribute to their health and well-being.  We are
not immune to increases in costs for good and services, but we
certainly do what is possible to give the best to our companion
animals.  It is they that keep us company, offer their loyalty, friendship,
love and protection without charge.  We simply owe them their care,
and I applaud those willing to provide them with what they need.
For example, my staff and I travel hours to Wendover, UT in an
effort to provide wellness and preventative care for those invested
pet owners who feel that obligation of love towards their companion
animals, and I seem to repeat myself frequently when I tell my clients,
"We do what we can."

There is no wonder why, as American pet owners, we've spent billions
for the care of our companion animals.  Our bond with them is
increasing, as is our willingness to pay for their care.

No comments:

Post a Comment